This article is sponsored by Wild Earth. Wild Earth Good Protein Dog Treats are sustainable and made from clean ingredients, so they’re good for your dog and the environment. They also contain all 10 amino acids your pup needs to stay healthy. Click here to try Wild Earth sustainable dog treats!
With climate change on the rise, it makes sense that more and more folks are deciding to switch to sustainable living. It’s simply better for the environment! But how can you include your dog in your earth-friendly lifestyle? Luckily, there are many ways you can make small changes around your home to live a more eco-friendly life with your pup. Here’s our guide to sustainable living with your dog!
Sustainable Diet Options
The first aspect of your dog’s lifestyle that you can change to make it more sustainable is their diet. Our favorite option is Wild Earth Good Protein Dog Treats! Here are a few reasons why we love them:
- They’re sustainable and made from Koji, which requires 90% fewer resources than meat-based treats.
- They are high in protein so they meet your dog’s nutritional needs.
- They come in three yummy flavors: Peanut Butter, Banana & Cinnamon and Strawberry & Beet.
- They’re free of fillers, preservatives, additives and “mystery” meat.
- More good news! Wild Earth has an animal-free high protein dog food.
Pro tip: Feed your dog the recommended serving size of any food or treat. Overfeeding your dog is bad for their health, causing them to gain too much weight which can result in diabetes or joint problems. It’s also less sustainable.
Sustainable Home Options
You can also make a number of changes inside your home to include your dog in your sustainable lifestyle:
- Live somewhere close to the dog park. If you and your pup go to the dog park daily, live somewhere close so you don’t have to drive there. Choose a home with a great walkability score so you can walk everywhere with your dog.
- Reuse your old bedding. Any of your old blankets that aren’t nice enough for your own bed make great bedding for your pup. Dogs don’t mind getting hand-me-downs!
- Get some pet-safe houseplants. These brighten up any interior and improve air quality.
- Make your own rope toys with leftover t-shirt scraps.
Sustainable Shopping Options
If you do decide to buy new pet products, there are still steps you can take to make sure your shopping choices are more sustainable:
- Buy non-toxic food dishes. Look for dishes made from stainless steel, porcelain, sugarcane, ceramic or bamboo.
- Get an earth-friendly dog bed. Look for sustainable materials like organic cotton, hemp or even fabric made from recycled plastic bottles!
- Buy quality toys that will hold up to regular tugging, chewing and washing.
Sustainable Outdoor Options
Switching up your outdoor space is another way to live more sustainably. Check out these tips:
- Make your own dog house. Instead of buying one, make your own with recycled pallets or reclaimed wood.
- Again, greenery is another way to clean up the air around your yard. Just make sure you only choose plants that are safe for your pup. Dogs have a tendency to munch on things, so you wouldn’t want them eating anything harmful. Stay away from lilies, hibiscus, poinsettias, aloe, English ivy, foxtails, sago palms and rubber plants. Just to be safe, research a plant before choosing it for your garden.
- When choosing plants, opt for greenery that doesn’t need chemical pesticides and artificial fertilizers. It’s also wise to choose plants that don’t require a ton of watering.
- Opt for eco-friendly flooring options when crafting a dog run.
As you can see, it doesn’t take much to live a sustainable life with your pet. Small changes around your home and backyard and in your dog’s diet and shopping habits are all you need to help out the environment. What steps have you taken toward sustainable living with your dog? Let us know on Facebook!