Sometimes it’s hard to describe why we love cats so gosh darn much. We just DO, ya know? But we’re going to try to put it into words, because cats and people are #bettertogether.
- Cat videos are the best videos. Whether it’s a clip of baby kittens falling asleep (awww), or a cat dressed as a shark and riding a Roomba, cat videos are easily the best videos of all time. Normally the comments sections of online videos are full of negative remarks, but those of cat videos are nothing but positivity. We need more of that in the world. Maybe cat videos are the secret to world peace?
- Cats cause our brains to release dopamine and serotonin. These “feel-good” chemicals help us feel happy and lower our stress levels, similar to a runner’s high.
- Cats are picky, which makes it all the more rewarding when they show us affection. Dogs tend to be way easier to make friends with. Dogs are outgoing and physically affectionate. But cats can be a little more withholding with their love. In a lot of ways this makes them just like us. Humans guard our hearts, so when we make connections with cats, it feels so, so good!
- Cats might actually reduce our risk of having a heart attack. One 10-year study yielded results suggesting people who have never owned a cat are 40% more likely to die from a heart attack than a cat owner. Non-cat-owners might also be 30% less likely to die from cardiovascular disease.
- Cats can help lower your blood pressure. Yep, studies confirm that cats help in that area too!
- Cats use a litter box. You don’t have to take a cat outside in the pouring rain so that they’ll go to the bathroom. In fact, some cats are actually toilet trained!
- Cats are independent. Cats love us and depend on us for necessities, such as a roof over their head, food and water. But otherwise, they tend to be less needy than dogs. Many folks find that dogs are too clingy for their tastes, but cats make the perfect fuzzy best friend!
- Cats are physically affectionate. All it takes is a good cuddle sesh to snuggle away your blues. Some people think that all cats are cold and aloof, but they couldn’t be more wrong. Many cats love affection and attention. They will plop right down next to you for pets, belly rubs, snuggles, head butts and more.